With both Trainfest and RPM Chicagoland now in the books for the year, and the crazy of the holiday season ahead, we managed to find some time at the workbench over the weekend.
I’m catching my breath at the moment. I need to organize built rolling stock, sort parts for upcoming builds, and get some plans made. There are a few builds that I decided to get some work started on instead of immediately hitting the scheduled builds.
The first project up was cleaning flash from the RPM car, a C&EI boxcar, that has resin replacement parts. I got started on cleaning up resin, and researching how to replace the cast on car ends. I need to get a new sanding block to sand down the existing end detail, so after cleaning up flash, the car was set aside again until I get the sanding block sorted out.
At Trainfest we got our hands on some of the show special 36’ boxcars. I broke one of those out and started doing some detail upgrades. I removed some of the cast on details and got holes drilled for replacement grab irons, along with sorting out some of the additional brake parts I want to add to the B end of the car.
Lastly, I did some more “model railroad arts and crafts” and cut out templates for some #6 turnouts so I can do some track planning through December.
There are some neat things coming to the workshop, and some projects to discuss. I’ll also be making some monthly goal plans again, as I enjoyed doing that, but those got away as the summer wore on. Back in the swing of modeling season, it’s time to start making plans and accomplishing things again.
Time to get back to the workbench.