A Bridge Between: Part 2

I had a chance to sit down and complete my Monroe Models bridge build within the last few days.  I had built the bents in part 1 (Part 1), but I wanted to add nut / bolt / washer castings and stain the wood before doing the final assembly.

IMG_7822.jpg

Holes were drilled in all the bents and ends to accept nut / bolt / washer castings.

Using a #79 drill bit and my pinvise, I drilled holes in the diagonal bracing on all the bents, creating a location for the NBW castings to attach.  With those completed, I proceeded to paint the Grandt Line castings.  My choice of color for painting the castings was to start with a MicroLux “Rail Brown”, and when that dried, I applied a light wash of Ammo of Mig Jimenez “Light Rust Wash”.

IMG_7831

To paint the castings, I set them up in a clamp so I could paint whole sets of castings at once.

Returning to the bents, I started coloring them by using Micro Mark’s “Weather It Easy”.  This product produces a gray tone to the wood, silvering it like wood that is exposed to the weather.  Once that dried, I decided that the color was not deep enough, so I used a “Tie Brown” stain from Hunterline over the top of the gray, which produced a much richer look, that in person (if not in the photos) still shows the gray color of the weathered wood but to my eye looks more like creosoted timbers.

IMG_7824.jpg

“Weather It Easy” turns the wood somewhat silvery, as wood that is exposed to the elements appears.

IMG_7833

A darker “Tie Borwn” stain from Hunterline was used after the “Weather It Easy”, and then the castings were applied.  You can see them standing out from the cross members on all the bents.

After the stains dried, I cut the NBW castings from the sprue, and using canopy glue, inserted one in each of the pre-drilled holes.  (For those counting, there were 12 castings per bent, three bents, plus two ends with 6 castings each, for a total of 48 holes to drill and NBW castings to place).

IMG_7835

With all the stains and castings in place and dry, more canopy glue was used to finish the assembly.  I used a flat metal cookie sheet and two 90 degree metal L’s to hold things flat and straight while they dried.

With all the staining and castings in place, I then followed the kit instructions to do the final assembly.

IMG_7845

The finished bridge.

IMG_7847

Another shot of the finished bridge

This was a fun bridge build.  I still plan to add track on top, but as of yet don’t have a home for this model.  I may simply hand-lay some track on top for fun, and set it aside for possible later use.

Anyone searching for a fun kit that builds in 1 or 2 sittings, I highly recommend securing one of these excellent models from Monroe.

Time to get back to the workbench!

-JD

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s